Sabudana refers to tapioca pearls made from tapioca starch and khichdi made from it is a very popular fasting dish in India especially in the states of Maharashtra,Uttar Pradesh,Rajasthan,Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka.The flavors may vary from region to region and house to house but the method of preparing remains more or less the same.Though it is commonly eaten during fast,so use of certain ingredients are prohibited in its preparation going with the traditional value system.However apart from fast I like to have sabudana khichdi in my breakfast or may be in some other meals as well depending upon the type of food me and my family is in a mood to consume.Thus the recipe that I am sharing below is full of flavors that may not comply with the fasting recipe but is surely going to tickle your taste buds.So let us jump to the recipe to check out how its made with all tips and tweaks.
Serves : 4
- 1 cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 green chilies sliced lengthwise
- 1 “ginger chopped
- 1 medium potato diced and fried
- 1/4 cup fried peanut powder
- Green peas (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Chopped green coriander for garnishing
- 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp oil /clarified butter
Washing & Soaking Sabudana
- In a bowl take sabudana and pour in enough water.Stir it with the spoon or fingers and drain the water.Do not rub and wash.Add fresh water just enough to form 1/2 cm layer of water above the surface of sabudana.Leave it for 3-4 hours or till sabudana soaks all the water and separates like swollen pearls.They should get tender to its core.
Preparing the khichdi
- In a non stick skillet heat oil/clarified butter.
- Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add in chopped onions and green chilies and cook till translucent.
- Add in curry leaves and chopped ginger.Saute for a minute.
- Toss in the fresh peas and cook till they are tender.
- Add peanut powder followed by soaked sabudana.Mix well gently and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the fried potatoes.
- Season with salt and lime juice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Tips & Tweaks:
- Soaking of sabudana is an important step and the success of the dish is very much attributed to this step.
- Use of peanut powder also helps in getting a non gooey texture so do not avoid using it.
- For even distribution of salt,add salt along with the peanut powder just before adding sabudana,so that while mixing salt mixes evenly in the khichdi without stirring too many times.
Enjoy!!!…………………………..and Happy Cooking & Eating!!!…………………………