Murg Methi Malai is a North Indian chicken curry.The gravy is rich,creamy and mildly aromatic with prominence of fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves.Since methi is in abundance during winters therefore it can be termed as a winter recipe.It is a main course delicious treat for the non vegetarians with the goodness of methi and can be enjoyed with chapatis,naan or rice.The method of cooking gives a restaurant style appeal to the dish,but since it is cooked at home,one would find it more flavorful because of the freshest ingredients used in it.So before I leave everyone exhausted let us quickly jump to the recipe.
Do checkout some more in chicken recipes
- Murg Kali Mirchi(Black pepper chicken)
- Palak Chicken(Chicken cooked in mildly spiced spinach gravy)
- Chicken Lajawab
- Luscious Chicken KormaChicken Lahsuni Curry(Indian Style Chicken Curry Cooked in Garlic Based Gravy)
- Chicken Chettinad
- Butter Chicken
For chicken marination
- 1 kg chicken curry cut
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
For the Gravy
- 2 medium size onions roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 2′ ginger piece roughly chopped
- 7-8 garlic cloves chopped
- 6-7 green chilies or as per taste broken into pieces
- 4-5 green cardamoms
- 2″ cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 petal mace
- 4-5 cloves
- 10 cashews
- 2 cups chopped methi (fenugreek)
- 2 tbsp dry kasuri methi (Dry leaves of fenugreek )
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream (optional)
Marinating the chicken
- Wash and pat dry chicken.Marinate it with some salt,lemon juice,curd and ginger and garlic paste.
Preparing the curry paste
- In a wok heat 2 tbsp of ghee /oil.
- Add cloves,cinnamon,cloves and cardamom.
- Toss in the chopped onions and saute.
- Add in the sliced tomatoes,green chilies,ginger and garlic along with the cashews and give a quick stir.
- Add in turmeric powder and chili powder along with some salt to taste and cook till mushy. Switch off the flame.
- Let the mixture cool down and grind the cooked mixture into a fine paste along with some water.The curry paste is ready
Preparing the fenugreek (methi)
- Cook chopped methi in very little oil till its moisture evaporates and keep aside.
Cooking the chicken
- In a pan heat 4-5 tbsp of oil/ghee.
- Add in the marinated chicken pieces and saute on high heat for 7-8 minutes till they acquire slightly golden color.
- Add in the prepared curry paste along with the left over marinade if any and mix well.Add 1/2 cup of water and cook the chicken covered till it is done occasionally stirring in between.
- When the chicken is cooked in about 25 minutes mix in the cooked methi leaves.
- Mix well and add dry kasuri methi and nutmeg powder.Simmer for 3-4 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Finish off with some fresh cream before serving.(optional)
- Enjoy along with some hot chapatis and rice.
Tips & Tweaks:
- The quantity of methi can be increased or decreased as per choice but too much addition may turn the curry slightly bitter and the color may also not remain brigt yellow at the end.
- Addition of cream is purely optional .However it adds to the richness of the dish and also mallow downs the taste of methi leaves.
- Prolonging the marination time of the chicken makes the chicken taste better.
ENJOY!!!……………………….and HAPPY COOKING!!!…………………………………….