KFC an American fast food restaurant chain famous for dishing out crunchy fried chicken since 1930 needs no introduction.Its first outlet in India was opened in Bangalore in the year 1995.Since then there are about 296 outlets in India.Though I am not a fast food junkie,but I do succumb to the aromas emanating from KFC crunchy fried chicken.With their country specific menu few years back they introduced an option of rice bowl combo meal in which they would serve pulav kind of rice along with spicy curry and crispy fried chicken.The color of the rice use to be light yellow.The rice use to have good amount of heat probably because of green chilies as I could spot pieces of green chilies in it and had a prominent aroma of cloves too.The rice had an addictive taste that kept me wondering if it was cooked in chicken stock and I loved gorging on that rice.Now they have come up with several other varieties on the menu and combos of which I am totally unaware of as of now because I have almost completely stopped visiting any fast food joint and I do not exactly remember when did I visit last.BUT…………………….the taste of that rice lingers on my taste buds till today.So I just thought of giving it a try and to my amazement it tasted just the same.Even I was surprised at the outcome especially when 10/10 came from my husband.The best part in this rice was that the heat was controlled unlike the fiery hot version at KFC.The taste that left me addicted I achieved using very little quantity of ajinomoto (monosodium glutamate or MSG ) and this ended my quest for the secret ingredient ever since I have been making it very often.
MSG is used in food industry as a flavor enhancer that intensifies the meaty ,savory flavor of the food and is also naturally found to occur in mushrooms,tomato,grapes and other foods.This KFC style rice preparation is very versatile as it goes very well with chicken,fish,sea food and not to forget any veg cutlet or fritters.This makes it worth trying…………….so lets quickly jump to the recipe.
Do check out some more in rice recipes.
- Chicken Pulav
- Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
- Awadhi Mutton Biryani
- Kathal ki Biryani
- Minty Nutri nuggets Pulav
- Lemon Rice
- 1 cup long grain rice (preferably aged Basmati rice)
- 10 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 7-8 green chilies
- 1/2 cup or more diced capsicum,carrots or bell peppers (optional)
- Edible yellow color(liquid /powder) I have used powder yellow color.
- 1/4 cup olive oil /any neutral oil
- 1/2 tsp ajinomoto (Monosodium Glutamate or MSG)
- Wash and soak rice for an hour.
- Toss diced carrots and capsicum and keep aside.
- Take enough water in a vessel.
- Add cloves,cardamom,green chilies broken into pieces and enough salt that the water tastes like tear.
- Heat water and when it starts to boil add soaked rice into it.
- Cook till rice is almost 90% cooked.Check it by pressing between the fingers.
- Drain the excess water leaving 1/4 cup behind.
- Level the surface of the rice.
- Add yellow color dissolved in water and put on the lid.
- Cook on dum or very very low heat till rice is fully cooked.
- Add oil,tossed vegetables and ajinomoto over the surface of the rice.
- Let the rice rest for 15 minutes before mixing otherwise it will stick at the bottom of the vessel.
- Serve hot along with some curry or meat and enjoy……………………..
Enjoy !!! ……………………………………………………………Happy Cooking!!!