Poha or pohe as known in Gujarat and Maharashtra respectively is a simple dish made from flattened rice.It is a traditional breakfast dish from the Western Indian states of Maharashtra,Gujarat and Rajasthan.It is a common sight to spot roadside shops preparing and selling fresh poha if one happens to transit these states while on a road trip.One may find varieties like kanda(onion) poha and batata(potato) poha depending on the type of vegetable used in it.Mixed vegetable poha has of late gained popularity among the health conscious lot for the reasons that it is a convenience food and has a flexibility of adding generous amounts of vegetables without spoiling its taste. One does findsome regional differences in taste but primarily the dish remains same.Poha with fresh peas and potatoes is my personal favorite when it comes to hot breakfast options during winters as I love having poha with lots of fresh green peas .The recipe that I have shared is exactly the way I love eating poha.To know how I make poha lets dash to the recipe.
- 1 cup chivda( beaten rice or flattened rice)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger chopped
- 1-2 green chilies slit/diagonally sliced
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup or more fresh green peas/frozen
- Chopped green coriander
- Fried peanuts and besan sev(crispy Indian snack made from chickpea flour) for garnishing
- 1 lemon
- Wash chivda (flattened rice) in a strainer with enough water and let it rest and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and shallow fry diced potatoes.Take them out in a bowl as they need to be added in the end.
- Use same pan or skillet.Take out excess oil leaving behind 3-4 tbsp.
- Add in the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Now in goes the chopped onions.Fry them till golden.
- Add in green chilies, fry a bit and mix in chopped ginger and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder and give it a quick mix.
- Toss in the green peas, some salt and mix well.Put on the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes as fresh tender green peas do not take much time to cook.
- Uncover the pan and mix in the soaked flattened rice.Mix well and adjust the salt to taste.Add diced potatoes and chopped coriander and cook for another 2-3 minutes and POHA the hot breakfast is ready to serve and relish.
- Sprinkle a dash of lime juice and garnish with some besan sev and fried or roasted peanuts.
Tips and tweaks:
- Always rest flattened rice after washing.This will allow individual flakes to soak up water and become soft and fluffy.If one cooks up immediately after washing ,the dish will become sticky and gooey.
- Choice of vegetables can always be altered as per liking.However poha tastes best with few vegetables like potatoes,peas,capsicum,carrots and sometimes String beans(French beans).
- Nowadays variety of flattened rice are available in stores.You can always pickup the one you like but keep tab on washing and soaking time as thin or regular variety takes less time to soak up then the thicker varieties.
Enjoy!!!…………………………………………………………………………………………………….. and Happy Cooking!