As I mentioned in my last post about the ongoing winter season and the availability of array of veggies to buy from,broccoli is one of those.Though broccoli is available round the year at super markets courtesy advancement in the field of agriculture and technology.But the fun lies in buying the local seasonal produce which is available in abundance at the bi weekly farmers market in my locality.I always prefer buying vegetables which are in season for the reason that they are locally produced so they remain fresh till they reach us.Since they are fresh ,they taste excellent and they also do not cost you a bomb.Their nutritive value also remain intact which otherwise tends to diminish with time no matter how good storage facilities are.
Broccoli scientifically known as Brassica oleracea belongs to the family of cruciferou vegetables.It is considered to be a super veggie due to several health benefits associated with its consumption.It can be enjoyed in raw and cooked form both,but consuming raw form is not advisable as it contains anti nutritional factors which are supposed to interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients making them unavailable to the body.Therefore it is always good to consume it either steamed or stir fried as heat while cooking leads to the destruction of anti nutritional factors.
Cream of broccoli and almond soup is a very easy and simple soup to make which does not require high levels of culinary skill and even a novice can make it drawing its maximum nutritional benefits.To know how good it tastes,you all need to give it a try so lets quickly jump to the recipe.I am sure you all will love it as I did.
- 2 cups Broccoli floret
- 20 almonds
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water or veg stock
- Cream( optional)
- 1 medium size onion
- 3-4 flakes garlic
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- 50 gm butter or more as per taste or choice
- Wash and roughly chop the broccoli florets.
- Blanch almonds in hot water either in a microwave oven or on a cook top.Peel off the skin once they are cool and grind them into a fine paste reserving few for garnishing.
- Heat butter in a sauce pan.
- Add in the chopped onions and cook till they are translucent.
- Roughly chop or crush garlic cloves and add into the onions.Give a quick stir.
- Toss in the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes continuously stirring till it starts sweating.Switch off the flame and blend the broccoli mixture with 1 cup of water or veg stock into a smooth puree.
- In the same pan heat milk till it comes to a boil
- Mix in the blended broccoli mixture.
- Add in the almond paste and cook for 2-3 minutes continuously stirring.
- Season with salt and black pepper according to taste and serve hot along with some bread to make it a complete meal or enjoy as it is.You can also top it with some cream but it is totally optional.
- Its time to relish!!!
Enjoy!!! and Happy Cooking…………………………………………..