Chicken Lahsuni (garlicky) is a chicken curry that I made just out of the blues.Usually I am mentally prepared about the kind of the preparation I want to make. But this day I could not decide about the kind of chicken preparation ,the reason being that firstly I was not at all in a mood to cook and if not spared of cooking did not want to go in for some elaborate preparations.Despite throwing away several options to my daughter for dinner as my hubby was away I had to eventually kneel down and Chicken Lahsuni was born.To my surprise with minimum efforts it turned out extremely delicious breaking the monotony and adding to my list of recipes.I named it Chicken Lahsuni for the reason that it was prepared using a generous amount of garlic and no ginger.The dish is well suited for main course and can very well go with the accompaniments like naan and rice.
- 800-1000 gm chicken(curry cut)
- 1 large onion/2 medium size onion(finely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes pureed
- 8-10 fat garlic cloves
- 8 whole red chilies+1 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- Whole spices(4 black cardamom,1 tsp coriander seeds,1 tsp cumin seeds,6 cloves and 8-10 black peppercorns)
- 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp ghee(clarified butter) /oil
- Marinate the chicken with juice of one lemon and salt and leave aside for at least an hour.
- Grind garlic,whole red chilies and kashmiri chili powder together into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add in the chopped onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Toss in the chicken along with garlic and chili paste.Cook(bhuno) for 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
- Add in the pureed tomatoes along with yogurt.Season with salt and mix well.Cover with the lid and cook on very low heat till chicken is cooked(30-40 min.) stirring in between.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with chapati /naan/rice.
Enjoy!!!………………………………………….Happy Cooking !!!