Living in North India is sometimes I feel is a privilege as one gets to enjoy all types of seasons whether its with regards to clothing and fashion or with respect to food.Different seasons come up with their specialities which sometimes become hard to resist for any food enthusiast.As winters are on and the chill does not seem to fade away anytime before mid of February, the affair with the winter specialities too does not seem to come to an end.One such speciality I prefer making during winters is palak pakora kadhi.Kadhi in North India refers to the curry made from yogurt and the palak pakoras are the fritters made from spinach.This is a simple vegetarian main course dish that goes very well with steamed rice.However it can be enjoyed with buttered chapatis as well.The dish with the goodness of spinach and curd is very appetizing and also light on stomach.The flavors of the dish are subtle yet gratifying in all aspects.Let us quickly jump to the recipe with the hope that you all enjoy cooking and eating it as I did.
For the Pakoras (spinach dumplings)
- 1 cup spinach blanched and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- Oil for frying
For the Curry and tempering(tadka) ingredients and method
- Please check out my recipe of kadhi(yogurt based curry) for the ingredients and method.
How to make Pakoras(spinach dumplings)
- Sort the spinach and remove the stalks .Wash thoroughly to remove all the dirt and blanch.(How to blanch spinach check Spinach & Cheese stuffed Mushrooms
- In a mixing bowl mix spinach,ginger,green chilies,salt and besan together.Do not add extra water as the water from the spinach will be sufficient to gather the mixture of suitable consistency to form balls.
- Heat oil in skillet/kadahi.
- Wet your hands and take small amount of mixture to form a ball of table tennis ball size.
- Gently slide the ball into the hot oil and fry on low to medium heat till they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Prepare remaining balls in the similar way.
- Prepare the curry and put spinach balls into the curry.Simmer for 3-4 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Temper the curry and serve hot along with rice or buttered chapati.
Tips and Tweaks:
- For the spinach fritters I have not added any spices like dry mango powder,red chili powder or any other seasoning like garam masala powder.However if one wishes to do so can go ahead as per taste.
Enjoy and happy cooking !!!…………………………………………………