Fish does not find a prominent place in my preferred list of non vegetarian food items despite being aware of numerous health benefits associated with it.However fish cutlets are lucky enough to find a decent position in my non vegetarian menu.I sway by the fact that the aroma emanating from the cutlets even from far away is enough to awaken ones olfactory senses inducing appetite.This wonderful crunchy appetizer is worth giving a try.Without wasting much time going gaga about the dish let us quickly jump to the recipe.
Makes : 16
- 1/2 kg boneless fish fillet( I have used Singhara(Catfish)
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 3-4 flakes garlic cloves minced
- 3-4 green chilies chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1 medium size boiled potato grated
- 1/2 cup +3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Toss into the pan chopped onion,garlic,ginger and green chilies.
- Give a quick stir and put in fish fillet into the pan.Add little water.Put on the lid and cook till fish is cooked.This will take about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook further if there is extra moisture in it.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool down.
- Once it has cooled down mash it with your hands.
- Add grated boiled potato, salt,chili powder,nutmeg powder,chopped coriander into the mashed fish.Combine well and divide the mixture into portions.
- Roll each portion into the shape of a cutlet.
- Spread 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and bread crumbs in separate plates.
- Mix 3 tbsp of flour with little water to make a medium consistency slurry.
- Roll each cutlet first into dry flour followed by thin slurry and finally rolling into the bread crumbs.Prepare all the cutlets in similar fashion.
- Heat oil in a skillet to medium high and deep fry cutlets till golden brown.Serve hot sprinkled with some chaat masala(optional) along with tartar sauce or any dip of your choice.
Enjoy!!!…………………………………………….Happy Cooking and Eating!!!………………………………………..