Mutton korma,every ones favorite dish in my family is undoubtedly a very popular Mughlai dish from North India.Its fragrant ,rich textured gravy which is not overtly spiced adds glamour to the dish.The melt in mouth pieces of meat laced with smooth and silken gravy makes the dish even more gorgeous and irresistible.Use of cream,nut paste and preferably the use of ghee(clarified butter) makes the dish appear to be heavy on stomach.But believe me if cooked at home with best ingredients and little patience,the dish turns out superb and to die for.It is best enjoyed with roomali rotis and naan,but goes well with rice and pulavs too.Before I leave all of you drooling lets quickly jump to the recipe.
- 1 kg mutton
- 3 large onions( sliced)
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste(freshly prepared with ginger and garlic in the ratio of 1:1)
- Whole spices ( 2 bay leaves,5-6 green cardamom,2″ long cinnamon,2 black cardamom,7-8 cloves,10-12 black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp powdered hing( asafoetida)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder(I have used Kashmiri chili powder)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 cup beaten yogurt
- Few strands of saffron soaked in 1/4 cup of warm milk
- Few drops of kewra extract
- 1/2 cup cream
- 20 cashews soaked in warm water and ground to a fine paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of oil or ghee ( clarified butter)
- Fry the sliced onions till golden in color.Drain them onto an absorbent paper and grind them into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil /ghee in a vessel.
- Add in hing along with whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add in the mutton fry till its color changes.
- Now in goes the ginger and garlic paste and fry along with mutton till its rawness is gone and ghee/oil is separated.
- Add in the red chili powder ,coriander powder and fried onion paste.Give a quick stir.
- Pour in the beaten curd .Mix well.
- Add about 3-4 cups of water and salt to taste.Put on the lid and bring down the flame to the minimum.Let it cook on slow heat till the meat is tender(approximately 1 1/2 hour) occasionally stirring in between.
- When the meat is done add in the cream,soaked saffron,kewra extract and cashew paste.Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding water and simmer for another 7-8 minutes.
- The gorgeous and fragrant mutton korma is ready to be served.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve it along with rice,roomali roti or any bread of your choice.