Snacks and appetizers play an important part in every ones life.These are soul of a party big or small and everyone is on a lookout for these wonderful bite size food .Most people even tend to forgo main course if they find appetizers yummy and delicious.Spinach and Cheese rolls are perfect appetizer that can be added to the menu.It is a versatile snack in terms of taste because by adding different seasonings it can easily fit into Indian menu or in the continental menu.The dish is simple to make and does not require too many ingredients.It has a firm and crispy outer covering with cheesy melt in mouth inner core.But how would you all get its taste without trying out ,so below follows the recipe of these delicious cheesy rolls.
- 1 cup blanched and finely chopped spinach
- 200 gm cottage cheese( paneer)
- 2 cubes cheddar cheese(approximately 40 gm)
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder(amchur powder)
- 1 /2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder/any seasoning of choice
- oil for deep frying
- Squeeze excess water from the spinach.How to blanch spinach see here.
- Finely grate the cottage cheese and cheddar cheese.
- In a bowl mix together spinach ,cottage cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Season the spinach and cheese mixture with salt,mango powder,red chili powder and garam masala powder.Mix well.
- Mix 1 tbsp of all purpose flour to the spinach and cheese mixture as it will help in absorbing excess moisture from the mixture if any.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and shape them like rolls.
- Spread the bread crumbs in a separate plate.
- Spread some all purpose flour in a separate plate.
- Prepare a medium thin slurry of all purpose flour with water in a separate bowl.
- Coat the prepared rolls in the dry all purpose flour.
- Dip the dry coated rolls in the all purpose flour slurry and immediately coat them evenly in the bread crumbs.
- Fry them in medium hot oil till the rolls are golden and crispy.
- Serve hot with the chutney of your choice.
Tips and tweaks
- Always squeeze extra moisture from the spinach.
- Do not get into the temptation of adding extra cheddar cheese as it may melt and ooze out while frying,thus spoiling the oil.
Happy cooking and eating till I am back ……………………………………………………………………………