Making cheelas or savoury pancakes made from Moong dal(split green gram) is not a big deal.I have been making these quiet often either for breakfast or sometimes for dinner too,but the thought of posting these on the blog did not come into my mind.It just happened by chance when one of my friend started taking advice from me regarding weight loss.It was thereafter while discussing basic nuances of diet that I started suggesting her various recipes to include in her diet,which would not only help her in managing her weight loss programme but would also keep her dietary regime interesting in terms of food.This is how this recipe is here on my blog today.
The recipe is very simple ,but highly nutritious and can easily be included in a semi keto diet for the vegetarians as it is low in carbohydrates. Usually it is made with soaked moong dal which is grinded and then the batter consistency is adjusted using water.My recipe has a variation of using moong dal flour.One can easily prepare moong dal flour by grinding dal in a grinder which hardly takes 3-4 minutes.The use of different stuffings inside a cheela renders different taste to the same cheela and thereby making it more interesting dish.
For the cheela /pan cakes
- 1/2 cup moong dal flour
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
- Red chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
For the stuffing
- You can use the stuffing of your choice like shredded mix vegetables ( carrots,beans,bell peppers,cabbage ,onions ,green chilies,fresh coriander,ginger),cottage cheese or potatoes and peas etc.The idea of stuffing is to add taste to the cheela and to turn it into a healthy and nutritious meal.when I made these cheelas,I had access to only onion,ginger ,green chilies and fresh coriander along with some cottage cheese.
- Prepare moong dal flour by grinding moong dal into a fine powder in a grinder .
- In a mixing bowl prepare a batter of pouring consistency by mixing together moong dal flour,salt,red chili powder,carom seeds and hing by adding water little by little.
- Heat pan or a griddle.
- Pour a ladle full of batter on the preheated and greased tava/pan/griddle .Spread it into a thin layer by moving the ladlein a circular motion.
- Uniformly spread the stuffing mixture over it.
- Drizzle some oil over the cheela.
- Cook the cheela on low to medium flame so that it turns crispy from the bottom.
- When the edges turn golden,fold the cheela into half and serve it hot along with the chutney of your choice.
Tips and tweaks:
- You can also sprinkle some chaat masala or chutney powder over the filling ,to make cheela more flavorful.
- These cheelas can also be prepared from soaked dal ground into a fine paste and adjusting its consistency to a pouring batter consistency.
Enjoy!!! Till I am back!