We all are nowadays aware of the virtues associated with the first meal of the day “the breakfast”.So most of us try our level best in keeping it wholesome and nutritious.But personally I feel that breakfast,apart from being wholesome and nutritious should have variety in order to make it interesting,instead making it unappealing by keeping the same menu each day.Vegetable dalia is a common dish prepared for breakfast in most homes ,but the recipe and style of cooking may vary.It is a healthy option for breakfast which is light on stomach and is nutritious too apart from being tasty.This ,of course is not an option for the people who are on gluten free diet as it is a preparation made from wheat which contains gluten.
Serves : 4
- 1 cup broken wheat /dalia
- 1/2 cup green peas (frozen /fresh)
- 1 large onion
- 1 potato( diced)
- green chilies( according to taste)
- 1″ ginger (chopped)
- Chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil/clarified butter
- Wash and soak dalia for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook soaked dalia in a pressure cooker( 1 whistle) along with little salt,turmeric powder and 1 tbsp oil /ghee in minimum water sufficient enough for one whistle so that it does not turn too gooey.
- Do not release the pressure.Let it cool down on its own.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Toss in the curry leaves,sliced green chilies,chopped ginger, onions and diced potatoes.Cover the lid and cook till the potatoes are cooked and onions will also turn golden in color.Cook on very low heat .
- Add in the green peas.Mix well and add cooked dalia.
- Mix well all the ingredients together ensuring there are no lumps.
- Adjust salt according to taste.
- Sprinkle lime juice,garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
- Vegetables like bell peppers,beans and carrots can also be added in the same manner like potatoes.
- Before serving an extra drizzle of clarified butter/extra virgin olive oil can be added on top for some added nutritional benefits if very little oil/ghee is used while cooking.
Enjoy!!!!! this healthy savory option any time of the day…………………………..
Happy cooking!!!!!……………………………..till I am back again!!!!!