Murg Kali Mirchi or the Black pepper chicken as the name suggest is a delicious chicken curry where black pepper appears to be the main ingredient and this is true to some extent,but black pepper acts like a taste enhancer rather then the main ingredient.This is a very popular and a delicious dish.It is simple to cook and no one can go wrong while cooking it.It is best enjoyed with naan or roomali roti or may be rice as per the preference.
- 1 kg chicken cut into medium size pieces
- 2 big onions chopped or grated
- 2″ ginger piece
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 5 green chilies/according to taste
- 2 tsp spice powder(2-3 tsp cumin,8 green cardamom,2″cinnamon stick,3/4 -1 nutmeg,3-4 blades mace,1 tsp black pepper corns.Grind together into a fine powder and use 2 tsp out of it while storing the rest in an airtight bottle,preferably glass for future use.)
- Almond paste(20 almonds soaked or blanched and skin removed and ground into a smooth paste.)
- 1 cup curd/yogurt
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1/4 tsp hing powder /asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil /ghee
Marination of the chicken
- Grind together green chilies,ginger and garlic into a fine paste.
- Prepare the marinate by mixing curd,1/2 of the ginger,garlic and green chili paste,1 tsp spice powder, 2 tbsp kasuri methi,1/2 tbsp crushed black pepper corns,salt to taste and juice of 1 lemon.
- Add the chicken pieces into the marinate and mix well.
- Let the marinated chicken rest for minimum 30 minutes before cooking.
Cooking the chicken
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee/oil in a pan.
- Add chopped /grated onions and fry them till golden in color.
- Add in the remaining ginger,garlic and green chili paste and give it a quick stir.
- Toss in the marinated chicken ,mix well and cook till it is done.
- Add the remaining spice powder and the almond paste .
- Add some water if required to adjust the consistency of the gravy and simmer for 5-7 minutes more.(Extra water usually is not required as the moisture from the curd is enough to cook the chicken but to adjust the gravy consistency you may add water accordingly.)
- Adjust the salt according to taste and put off the flame.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a tadka pan or a small pan.
- Add whole red chilies,remaining crushed black pepper corns,hing powder and kasuri methi.
- Pour this tempering over the dish before serving.
The dish is ready to be served .Enjoy it hot along with buttered naan or rice.
Happy cooking!!!!!………………………Till I am back !!!!!