Ever since I started cooking,baking had always been my first love and that too baking cakes.This used to be the only sweet dish that I relished during my childhood days and had voracious appetite for it.The colorful frosting over the cakes use to be so fascinating and the way it was licked before biting into the sponge was like attaining divine pleasure.
Even now I love frosted cakes and like to frost cake occasionally especially during the birthdays of my daughters as it satisfies my creative side.But over the years my preference for the dry cakes of different flavors have taken over frosted cakes.May be because I can bake and enjoy it along with my family often.The orange cake which I made today was baked with the intention of consuming it without frosting.But the idea of keeping it without frosting had to succumb to the nearing expiry date of the cheese, which was lying in my fridge for quiet some time and I did not want it to go into the dustbin.Thus orange cake with cheese frosting was made.
For Orange Cake
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar/icing sugar
- 1 cup low fat whipping cream i.e. 25 % fat content(I have used Amul Fresh Cream)
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange(approximately 1/3 of a cup)
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 9″ diameter Circular baking tin
For Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup/250 gm mascarpone cheese
- 50 gm butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar or according to taste
- Few drops of orange essence
- Orange zest to sprinkle on top.
- Prepare the baking tin by lining with the butter paper or by simply greasing and dusting with all purpose flour.
- Sift together flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt so that all ingredients get mixed evenly.
- In a mixing bowl beat together eggs, sugar,cream and vanilla essence till it is frothy.
- Add in the orange juice and beat again for a minute.
- Fold in the flour mixture in 3 batches in the egg and cream mixture.Add in the orange zest and mix well.
- Pour the prepared batter in the baking tin and bake in the oven at 150 degree centigrade for 30-35 minutes or till the cake is done i.e when you insert a clean knife or a skewer at the center of the cake ,it comes out clean
- Let the cake cool down a bit before taking it out from the tin.
- Once it has cooled down , run the knife along the edge and gently take it out by flipping onto the plate.
- Keep it on a wire rack till it cools down completely.
Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl whip mascarpone cheese along with icing sugar,essence and butter till you get stiff peaks.
- Frost the cake with this soft,light and airy cream cheese frosting and sprinkle orange zest for some color.
The fragrant orange cake with cream cheese frosting is ready to be served and enjoyed.
- I have not used any oil or butter in this recipe.Only whipping cream has been used and the results were awesome and the cake turned out very spongy and flavorful.Do give it a try and I am sure there won’t be any disappointment.
Happy Cooking to all……………………………………till I am Back!!!!……………………………………………