Palak(spinach) chicken may not seem a novelty to many of us ,especially non vegetarians from Northern India,but I sway ,spinach when combined with chicken turns out lip smacking.Since I am very fond of spinach ,I love to make this dish very often during winters when spinach is available in abundance.Though,spinach is available round the year,but it tastes best during winters.Now having said that does not mean at all that I do not cook this dish during summers.I am lucky to have an access to farmers market twice in a week just behind my apartments.So whenever I stumble upon a good produce,I do not restrain myself from buying it and making this wonderful dish which is mildly spiced and uses spinach in its best form making us available with most of its goodness.So let us now jump to the recipe which is very simple to follow and tastes delicious too.
- 800 gm chicken with bone(cut into medium sized pieces)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped/grated/coarsely ground)
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 1/2 cup spinach puree(freshly prepared)
- Whole spices(7-8 black pepper,5-6 cloves,1″ cinnamon stick,2 black cardamom)
- 1 1/2 tsp spice powder(grind together 2 tsp cumin,1/2 tsp black pepper,5-6 green cardamom,2″ cinnamon stick, 1 nutmeg and 2 blades of mace )
- 6-7 green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon
- Marinate the chicken with juice of lemon,salt,broken or slit green chilies,1/2 tsp of spice powder ,1 tsp of ginger and garlic paste and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Leave the marinated chicken aside for minimum 30 minutes.The longer the duration of marination ,tastier it turns out.
- Heat oil / ghee in a wok .
- Add the whole spices once the oil is hot and let them crackle.
- Toss in the chopped onions and fry them till golden brown in color.
- Add in the remaining ginger and garlic paste and cook till its rawness is gone.
- Add the marinated chicken and saute it for few minutes.
- Add the remaining spice powder and salt and mix well.
- Cover the chicken and let it cook in its own moisture till it is perfectly done.You can also add little water in between if there is not enough moisture left while the chicken is still cooking.
- Mix in the spinach puree and simmer for another 5 minutes.How to blanch spinach for puree.
- Turn off the flame and is ready to be served along with buttered naan ,chapati or any bread of your choice.
Tips and Tweaks:
- A tempering of cumin,whole red chilies in hot ghee can also be added before serving for added flavor,but it is purely optional.
- While grinding the blanched spinach,green chilies can be also be added into it,thus avoiding them in the marinate.
- The spice powder can be prepared in advance and can be stored in an air tight glass bottle for future use.
ENJOY!!!…………………………………..TILL I AM BACK……………..