Paneer dishes are very common to find in the menu of any restaurants.It stands out as a favourite option for most vegetarians especially in North India.Paneer can form part of salads,starters,main course ,accompaniments and desserts too,hence its versatility . Kadahi paneer is a mildly spiced dish cooked in onion and tomato based gravy.It is a semi dry preparation cooked in a kadahi,hence name kadahi paneer. It is usually eaten with flat breads like paratha,naan or chapati.
- 400 gm paneer/cottage cheese cut into 1″cubes
- 1 large onion finely chopped / grated
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 medium sized capsicum cut into 1″ squares
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp dry kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 cup cream (optional)
- Whole spices(cloves,cinnamon,black pepper,green cardamom)
- 3/4 tsp blend of 1 nutmeg, 1 blade mace, 2″ cinnamon ,1 star anise and 6 green cardamom
- oil/ghee (clarified butter)
- Fry the paneer cubes till their edges are light golden . Do not over fry them as it will make paneer chewy. You may also use paneer without frying or can simply pan sear.
- Saute or may even deep fry the capsicum on high heat for 3-4 minutes ,such that its colour is retained and is almost 70 % cooked.Drain on tissue paper.
- Heat oil or clarified butter in a pan .
- Add whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions and fry them till golden brown in colour.
- Add in the ginger and garlic paste and fry till its rawness is gone.
- Add turmeric powder,red chili powder,coriander powder and give them a quick stir.
- Toss in the chopped tomatoes,some salt and cook till tomatoes are soft and the spice mixture starts leaving oil.
- Now add the dry kasuri methi leaves and 3/4 tsp of spice blend.Mix well and toss in the paneer and capsicum.
- Adjust the salt and mix well.You may add 1/2 cup of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.Simmer for few minutes.
- Mix in the cream. It is optional so you may serve as it is garnished with fresh coriander along with paratha,naan or chapati and enjoy !
ITS TIME TO RELISH ,SO ENJOY!!!!! TILL I AM BACK………………………………………………………………