Ever since mango season started I always wanted to do recipes involving mangoes. There were lot of recipes which I wanted to do but somehow my plans did not work out as I wanted.But nevertheless today I am here with a very simple but really delicious recipe with ripe mangoes called Mango Vanilla Srikhand.
Srikhand is a very popular yogurt based sweet dish from Gujarat and Maharashtra.It forms part of thali (platter) on weddings and special occasions.It is a simple dish that is made by draining water /whey from the curd . A solid mass which is obtained is called “chakka” which is sweetened by adding sugar . Flavourings like cardamom and saffron were added traditionally , but nowadays srikhand in variety of flavours are available.It is a healthy dessert with all the goodness of curd and the sugar content can also be varied as per need and can even be made with artificial sweeteners easily.Below follows the recipe of a very simple,smooth,creamy and easy to make dessert “Mango vanilla Srikhand”
- 1 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1 cup mango puree
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar/icing sugar
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- Prepare the hung curd by draining the whey from the curd.For this you can refer my blog My Middle Eastern Plate
- You will obtain a solid mass.
- Prepare the mango puree by blending the chopped pieces of ripe mango in a blender without adding water.
- Blend together hung curd,sugar,mango puree and vanilla essence with a spoon /whisk and a nice smooth and creamy dessert is right in front of you.
- Chill and serve.
- I have used fresh ripe mango for the puree but canned mangoes can also be used if fresh ones are not available.
- Since mangoes are sweet ,the quantity of sugar can be altered according to taste.
ENJOY AND HAPPY COOKING !!!!! TILL I AM BACK………………………………………………………….