Lemon rice is an excellent comfort food which is full of flavors.It is a popular South Indian rice recipe . Lemon rice to me is the best way to consume leftover rice in a delicious way.The aroma of curry leaves and the tanginess of lime juice along with some spices adds altogether a new dimension to the left over rice .It can be eaten in lunch,dinner or can even be had in breakfast.Depending upon the personal choice it can be eaten along with curd or chutney .Below follows the recipe of this simple and easy to make dish.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chana dal (split chickpeas)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal(dehusked black gram dal)
- 1 green chili slit/ dry red chili
- Few curry leaves( 10-12)
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Red chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp roasted/fried peanuts
- Chopped green coriander for garnishing
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds,chana dal,urad dal and green or red chili.Fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Add curry leaves and fry till they become fragrant.
- Add turmeric powder ,give it a quick stir and add cooked rice.Mix well,season it with salt and chili powder according to taste.
- Switch off the flame.Add in the peanuts and squeeze lemon juice.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot immediately or can be packed in the lunch box as well.
- I have used leftover rice in this recipe,however freshly prepared rice can also be used provided it has completely cooled down otherwise it will break and the dish will become mushy.
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!…………………………………….TILL I AM BACK……….TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!