Falafel is a Middle Eastern Mediterranean dish known to be originated from Egypt.These are deep fried balls made from soaked chickpeas or garbanzo beans which are grounded to a coarse paste along with spices and herbs.It is usually served as a part of mezze (small meal or snack )platter and is a protein substitute for vegetarians.It is usually served on a bed of salad or is wrapped in a pita bread or is also eaten like an appetizer or a snack.The recipe that I am sharing below is made from black chickpeas (kala chana) instead of white chana/chole/chickpeas.
- 1 cup black chickpeas
- 1 medium onion(sliced)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander or cilantro /parsley
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp maida/all purpose flour
- White sesame seeds(optional)
- Oil for frying
- Soak the black chickpeas either overnight or for minimum 5-6 hrs.
- Drain the water.
- Combine all the ingredients together except sesame seeds and oil and grind them together into a coarse paste without adding water.
- Empty the mixture in a bowl,adjust the seasoning ,cover it with a cling foil and refrigerate for 1-2 hrs before frying .
- Take small portions and shape them as per your choice.Roll them in the sesame seeds and deep fry them in hot oil on a medium to low flame till they are crisp and evenly golden in color.
- Drain them on kitchen towel and serve them hot along with hung curd dip (can check for the recipe in my previous blog ‘My middle eastern plate‘ or Mediterranean dips or any dip of your choice.
- The addition of flour helps in absorbing extra moisture in the mixture and shaping of the balls becomes easier.
ENJOY AND HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!………………………….TILL I AM BACK