The walnut and basil pesto is a variation of the original pesto alla genovese,the quintessential pesto recipe made from Genovese basil,coarse salt,garlic,Liguarian extra virgin olive oil,European pine nuts and grated cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano and Pecorini sardo or Pecorini romano.Traditionally pesto is prepared in a marble mortal with wooden pestle where garlic and pine nuts are first reduced to a cream followed by basil and coarse salt and is grounded to a creamy consistency and thereafter the grated cheese is added along with olive oil for the easy incorporation of the cheese .
The walnut and basil pesto sauce is a variation of the traditional pesto where I have substituted pine nuts with walnuts and have rolled the spaghetti in it thus calling it Spaghetti in Walnut and Basil Pesto Sauce that has been topped with sauteed prawns for extra flavour.
Walnut and Basil Pesto
- 100 gm fresh sweet basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2-3 fat garlic cloves
- 20 gm parmesan cheese(Grana Padano)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Soak the walnuts in warm water for an hour or can blanch if do not have time to soak.
- Grind together basil, walnuts, garlic cloves and parmesan cheese along with some salt and extra virgin olive oil into a smooth paste.
- Mix in the lemon juice and is ready for use.
- While storing pesto always store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and cover the surface with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil .Stays good up to one week.
- Add lemon juice just before use.
Spaghetti in Basil and Walnut Pesto
- 1 packet spaghetti
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Some extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on top while serving
- salt to taste
- Water to boil spaghetti
- Boil enough water in a deep vessel.Add pasta into it and cook till al dante (90 % cooked).
- Drain the water .
- In a pan heat oil .
- Saute onion and garlic and roll the spaghetti into it.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice into the pesto and roll it into the spaghetti . Check for the seasoning and drizzle extra virgin olive oil to make it more juicy smooth and supple.
- You can also roll the boiled spaghetti directly into the pesto without rolling in sauteed garlic and onion.This step is just to enhance the flavour.
Lemon and Garlic Shrimps
- 400 gm prawns
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Chili flakes and oregano for seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter/olive oil
- Marinate the Prawns in lemon juice and little oil for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil/butter in a pan.
- Saute garlic and toss in the prawns for 2-3 minutes till they change colour.Do not over cook the prawns as they will lose their juiciness.
- Season with salt,oregano and chili flakes and top it over the spaghetti drizzling its juices over it.
HAPPY COOKING TO ALL TILL I AM BACK…………………………………………………………………………..