Chicken pulav is a simple to cook one pot meal with a lovely combination of chicken and long grain basmati rice cooked together without involving any complicated techniques of layering etc.like in a biryani.It is a comfort meal that does not involve too much of pre-preparations and can be cooked even by a novice.Its mild aroma and the moist rice cooked along with chicken makes me hungry all the time and so it would do to all who are chicken and rice lovers .So to satiate your hunger the recipe follows below.
- I kg chicken with bones cut into medium size pieces
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 1 cup plain curd
- 1 lemon
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2-3 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
- Whole spices(2-3 bay leaves ,2 black cardamom ,6 green cardamom ,7-8 black whole pepper ,1 tsp cumin ,2″ cinnamon stick)
- 1 tsp red chili powder/according to taste
- Spice mix( make a powder of 4 green cardamom+1 petal mace+1″ cinnamon stick+1/4 of nutmeg)
- 5-6 tbsp oil/ghee
- salt to taste
- Kewra water (optional)
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Marinate the chicken with curd,ginger and garlic paste,juice of 1 lemon and salt to taste for minimum 30 minutes.
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel.
- Add whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add the sliced onions and fry them till they turn golden in colour.
- Add red chili powder,3/4 of the spice powder and the marinated chicken .
- Saute for few minutes and cook it covered till it release the juices and is 50% cooked.
- Add soaked rice and mix well .Add about 2 cups of water or more ensuring that there is enough water for the rice to be cooked.Adjust the salt.
- Cook open on medium heat till water is 90% absorbed mixing in between.Add the remaining spice mix and sprinkle some kewra water.
- Put on the lid and bring down the flame to the minimum and continue cooking till a nice aroma starts coming and the rice grains stand erect.
- Switch off the flame and rest the pulav for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander and serve along with some raita and a generous helping of salad.
ENJOY !…………………………….TILL I AM BACK………………………TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!