This dish I prepared keeping in mind one of my friend who has requested me to share some dishes using nutri nuggets/nutrela/soya bari.I like nutri nuggets but my family is not a fan of it so inclusion of soya nuggets in my meal preparations is almost negligible.So few days back when everyone in my family was craving for something very light and simple for the dinner and were coming up with their own suggestions I stumbled upon making this dish as while looking in my pantry ,the box of nutrela which I had bought a month ago caught my attention and acted like a reminder of my friends request.The dish that I am going to share is a very simple,quick ,tasty and and easy one and at the same time very nutritious too.Though in my subsequent blog I intend to share some more recipes too using nutrela .
Before proceeding to the recipe I would like to introduce you to nutrela.Nutrela/nutri nuggets/soya bari is a by product of soybean.It is an extruded product made from soybean meal(defatted flour left after oil is extracted) and during the process of extrusion structural changes occur in its protein giving it a texture like meat.That is why it is sometimes referred to as the vegetarians meat.It a high protein substitute for the vegetarians as well as for the non vegetarian turned vegan.
- 2 cups cooked rice(I have used leftover rice)
- 1 cup nutri nuggets chunks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2-3 green chilies sliced horizontally
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 -3/4 cup fresh mint leaves coarsely chopped( star ingredient)
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp oil /desi ghee
- Lemon for extra zing(optional)
- Wash and boil nutri nuggets in 3-4 cups of boiling water till they swell up and become soft.
- Drain the water and leave them in a strainer for some time.Press them with the back of the spoon or squeeze them lightly with hands to get rid of excess water ensuring not to squeeze 100 % of water.Leaving some water will ensure juiciness and will taste better.
- Now in a pan heat oil/ghee.
- Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Toss in the onions and fry them till they start changing colour.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes,followed by adding red chili powder.Mix it and add tomatoes.
- Cook tomatoes till they are soft and nicely form a masala paste.
- Add the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now toss in the soaked nutri nuggets,chopped ginger,green chilies and mint. Cook this for 2-3 minutes while mixing well.
- Add the rice ,mix well , adjust the salt to taste and cook it for 2-3 minutes more.
- Switch off the flame and squeeze in the lemon juice for added sourness.
- Minty nutri nugget pulav is ready to be served.
- Serve it hot along with salad and raita of your choice.I would recommend to have it along with onion or cucumber raita.
- If you are planning to make it with freshly cooked rice then use the rice only when it gets completely cooled down or else may become gooey.
- Though according to me the star ingredient is fresh mint but any other herbs can also be used however the flavor may not remain the same.
- Vegetables like capsicun,carrots and string beans can also be used.
TILL I AM BACK AGAIN……………………..HAPPY COOKING TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!