Chola Bhatura is a yummy Northwestern Indian dish from the state of Punjab.It comprises of chola (chickpeas/Bengal gram) in a spicy curry coupled with bhatura(leavened deep fried flat bread of maida/all purpose flour).It makes the whole meal and is generally served along with some pickle and onion salad seasoned with lime juice and salt.Though it is usually served as a breakfast but can be eaten any time of the day.
Recipe of Chole(chickpea curry)
For gravy base
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas/white chana
- 2 tsp black tea leaves / 2-3 tea bags
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per the heat you want
- Salt to taste
- Ghee /oil
For chana masala
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom
- 8 cloves
- 8 allspice/kabab chini
- 1″ cinnamon stick
- 1- 11/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 of whole nutmeg( jaiphal)
- 2 tbsp kasuri methi dry
- 1 tbsp dry mango powder/amchur
- 1/2 tsp stone flower or kalpasi(optional)
- 2-3 Green chilies
- Green coriander
- Ginger julianes
- Soak the chickpeas in water for 4-5 hours or till they are completely soaked.
- Tie the tea leaves in a muslin cloth or can put in a strainer as shown in the picture.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas in enough water along with the tea leaves.The level of water should be about 1.5 cm from the surface of the chickpeas.This would take about 5-6 whistles time.After first whistle lower the flame and cook till they are done.The tea leaves will help in darkening the chick peas along with adding flavor too.Some dry amla(indian gooseberry) can also be added along with tea leaves to even achieve darker color.
- Meanwhile grind together all the spices mentioned under chana masala into a fine powder.
- Take a wok and heat 3-4 tbsp of ghee.
- Add onions and fry till they are evenly light brown and appear crisp……taking care not to burn them.
- Add powdered coriander and red chili powder,give it a quick stir and add pureed tomato and ginger paste.
- Cook till masala leaves the oil.
- Now add 3/4 of the chana masala along with 1/2 cup water and cook again till oil separates.
- Add chopped ginger and mix well.
- Add the boiled chanas along with water in which chanas were cooked and little extra water ,mix well.Adjust the salt to taste and even sourness can be adjusted by adding extra mango powder/amchur.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes checking in between.The final consistency should be neither too runny or to thick….but at the end it is always an individuals choice
- Now add the remaining chana masala and simmer for another 2 minutes and switch off the gas.
- It is always advisable to rest the chole for at least an hour so that all the spices get infused properly.It can be reheated again before serving.
- Serve them garnished with ginger julians ,coriander and green chilies along with Bhatura/naan/jeera rice.
Recipe of Bhatura(Leavened Deep Fried Bread)
- 2 cups maida /all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain curd/yogurt
- oil for deep frying
- Mix all the dry ingredients together evenly and knead them into a medium soft dough with curd and little water.
- Cover the dough with moist cloth and rest for 1/2 an hour.
- Knead again for 2-3 minutes and divide the dough into about 12 balls.The division will depend entirely on the size of bhatura you want.
- Roll each piece into either round or oval shape maintaining the thickness of about 2 mm.
- Deep fry them in hot oil continuously pressing from the sides lightly with the ladal till it puffs up.Turn and fry on both the sides till they are golden in colour.Drain them on absorbent paper and serve hot along with chole.
- Addition of sugar helps in achieving nice golden color and suji(semolina) helps in retaining the shape of the bhatura.
RELISH THESE YUMMY CHOLE AND BHATURE………TILL I AM BACK
TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!