Brinjals known by various names like aubergine and egg plant in itself is a cute looking vegetable and for me it is always ‘Baingan Raja’ meaning a king with a green crown.Hyderabadi baingan ka salan is a curry dish from Hyderabad which is usually served as a side dish along with biryani. The dish calls for baby brinjals to be fried and dunked in a flavorful curry made up of primarily roasted peanuts,sesame seeds and coconut without which the dish remains incomplete.It is a treat for the vegetarians as the amalgamation of flavors from the spices and the roasted nuts makes this dish phenomenal. Its looks are so appealing that you would be left with no option but for eating and relishing it.So here follows the simplified and magical recipe………………………………….
- 500 gm baby brinjals
- 1 onion medium sized sliced
- 2″ginger chopped
- 4-5 fat garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut powder/fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp peanuts(ground nuts)
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds(safed til)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder/Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp tamarind juice or as per taste
- Salt to taste
Preparing the masala/spice mix
- Roast coconut,peanuts and sesame seeds separately.
- Roast coriander and cumin seeds.
- In a pan heat 1-2 tbsp of oil and saute sliced onions,chopped garlic and ginger till they are translucent.
- Grind together coconut,peanuts,sesame,coriander ,cumin, onion,ginger and garlic into a fine paste.
Preparing the brinjals
- Wash and wipe the brinjals.
- Trim the stalks
- Make an incision in cross pattern till 3/4 of the brinjal.
- Shallow fry them till they are almost 90 % cooked.
Preparing the curry
- In a pan heat 3-4 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot crackle the mustard seeds,followed by curry leaves,turmeric powder,and red chili powder.Give it a quick stir and then add the masala paste.
- Cook the masala till it starts leaving the oil.
- Then add 1-2 cups of water and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and let the curry simmer till it thickens a bit.
- Add the fried brinjals and tamarind juice and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Put off the flame and the yummy baingan are ready to be served.
- Serve them hot along with buttered chapati,paratha,or rice.
Happy cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Till I am back again………………