Fritters in my opinion is one of the tastiest version of any food item being transformed into a dish.Fritters can be vegetarian and non vegetarian both and can be made out of any vegetable,fruit or meat.They can be sweet as well as savory.Fritters have the capability of turning out even the most unpalatable into the palatable and the common example that I can think of right now is the bitter gourd.Especially for the children who don’t have taste for bitter gourd and is difficult to feed them in the form of simple vegetable can be easily fed with the fritters.
Jackfruit(Katahal in Hindi)fritters are made in the Southern part of India as well as in the Northern Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.They are called by different names in different regions like Ponsa Mulik in konkani when ripe jackfruit is used and kadgi/Chakko when raw jackfruit is used.In North India it is simply called pakora and are made up of raw /young jackfruit whose seeds are tender and are still growing.These fritters are very crispy on outside and tender inside.They can be served as a snack ,but in my house they are usually served as a side dish along with Dal and Chawal(pulses and rice) or sometimes they are also dunked in a spicy curry which goes well with rice and chapati.below follows the recipe of crispy jackfruit fritters…….do give it a try and I am sure you all won’t be disappointed.
- 500 gm jackfruit (katahal)
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour(besan)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 red chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder( amchur powder)
- salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Cut the jackfruit into bite size pieces.Grease your palms and the knife nicely before cutting jackfruit to prevent sticking of the milky liquid on your palms but if it sticks by any chance,rub a slice of lemon to clear it off from the palms and the knife.
- Boil the pieces in the pressure cooker or in a steamer till they are tender about 2 whistles.Add 2 tsp oil in the vessel to prevent sticking of the gum .
- Drain them in a colander and let them cool down.
- Grind the onion ,garlic,chilies,cumin,turmeric powder and mango powder together into a coarse paste.
- In a bowl prepare a thick batter by mixing chickpea flour,rice flour,spice paste and salt and water and rest the batter for 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil in a skillet or a wok to high heat.
- Coat the pieces of jackfruit in the batter and slide them gently in the hot oil.Fry them till they turn golden brown in colour.Drain them on the absorbent paper.Plate them and sprinkle some chaat masala over it and serve it as a snack or as a side dish with an Indian meal.In the same batter you can also fry some green chilies for an extra bite of heat,but slit the chilies before frying.
SO TILL YOU ALL ARE BUSY TRYING THIS YUMMY FRITTERS…………….LET ME GO AND COME BACK WITH A NEW RECIPE……………..TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!