Shahi Gosht as I call this recipe is a mildly spiced goat meat curry with a rich and creamy texture.”Shahi” means royal and any dish involving the use of nuts make a dish of the royals as in olden days having nuts used to be an expensive affair for most and was usually confined to the privileged.Many dishes that have found their origin in the kitchens of the royals like Nawabs and Nizams in India involve the use of nuts ,saffron and essence like rose and kewara extensively,hence making the dish royal in every aspect right from taste and appearance too.
- 1 kg goat meat
- 2-3 medium size Onion
- 2″ginger piece
- 8-9 fat garlic cloves
- 7-8 green Chilies
- 200ml coconut milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup curd
- 15 almonds
- 15 cashews
- Whole spices (1 Cinnamon stick,8-10 Green cardamom,8-10 Cloves,3 big black cardamom,2-3 bay leaves)
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1 blade mace
- 5-6 tbsp ghee/oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the meat and leave aside in a colander to drain excess water.
- Grind the onions into paste.
- Grind together ginger,green chilies and garlic.
- Blanch the almonds and peel them.Grind almonds and cashews together into a fine paste adding either little curd or coconut milk or even water can be used.
- Powder nutmeg and mace together.
How to cook
- Take a deep vessel and heat oil/ghee.
- Add the onion paste and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add the whole spices and fry them for few seconds.(Usually whole spices are the first one to go into the oil but in this recipe I have reversed the sequence).
- Add the meat and fry for few minutes on high heat till it changes its colour.
- Add ginger,garlic and green chilies paste,some salt and mix well.Put the lid on and let it cook on minimum flame in its own juices till almost all the moisture dries away i.e for almost 30 minutes occasionally stirring in between.
- Now add the beaten curd without any lumps along with the coconut milk and let it cook for another 30-40 minutes checking in between till the meat is cooked.
- Add the nuts paste and mix well cook for another 10 minutes till the gravy turns thick and smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning and finish it off by sprinkling nutmeg and mace powder.
- Switch off the flame and let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve it hot along with naan,roomali roti or rice.
- The dish takes almost 1 hour and 30 minutes to cook minus the preparation time.It may take a little longer depending upon the quality of the meat.Meat dishes are a thing of patience and the secret behind awesome taste lies in slow cooking.
- The level of heat in the dish can be altered by increasing or decreasing the amount of green chilies.
TILL I AM BACK…………………………..HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!