As the summer approaches craving for something not so hot but sweet,tangy, minty and curd based dishes increases when Indian street food “chaat” shows itself as a delicious option.It is a savory snack originated in Uttar Pradesh,India but has become immensely popular in rest of the Indian subcontinent.The word “chaat”in Hindi literally refers to lick ,hence relishing till the end and polishing it off .The combination of beaten curd along with sweet tamarind chutney and minty green chutney leaves you for wanting more.Amongst several varieties of chaat,aloo tikki is very popular and chaat session is never complete without having at least one serving of aloo tikki.Below follows the simple recipe of how to make and plate aloo tikki chaat.
- 500 gms potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder
- 2 tbsp potato starch/arrowroot powder
- Salt to taste
- Ghee / vegetable oil
- Mix in all the spices in the boiled and mashed potato and form like a dough.
- Divide the potato mixture into equal portions .
- Shape each portion like a patti and shallow fry them on a girdle or a pan till they are golden brown and crisp from both the sides.
1.Boiled yellow peas
- Soak dry yellow peas for minimum 4 hours.Pressure cook them till they are soft.
2.Green mint chutney
- This is spicy and sour chutney prepared by grinding together 1 cup of fresh mint ,2-3 garlic cloves,green chilies,salt to taste with a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
3.Sweet tamarind chutney
- For the recipe refer Chutneys and Preserves(Raw mango chutney,Tamarind chutney and Strawberry preserve)
4.Lightly sweetened and whisked curd
5.Spice mix to sprinkle on top
- This is prepared by mixing 1 tsp black salt ,1 tsp roasted cumin powder,1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder.
6.Besan sev and papri to garnish
- This is optional and can be bought from the store.
Plating of aloo tikki chaat
- Place the fried tikkis on the plate.
- Top the fried tikkis with some boiled peas.
- Drizzle tamarind chutney and green mint chutney on top and sprinkle some masala/spice powder and serve immediately.
- chaat should be assembled and served immediately or else it becomes soggy and loses its taste.
TAKE A DIG AT THIS MOUTHWATERING CHAAT…………………….TILL I AM BACK WITH WITH ANOTHER RECIPE.