Spinach and mushrooms both being nutritionally rich in their own ways make a very good combination for me.Whenever they are available in abundance especially during winters I find one way or the other to include them in my meals.Spinach and cheese stuffed mushrooms is one such dish that I love to make either as a starter or as a side dish.The dish is simple to make and looks exotic too. Apart from being visually appealing it is delicious too.For all the mushroom lovers below is the recipe.
- Button mushrooms( big ones and preferably of same size)
- 1 cup Spinach blanched and chopped
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup(optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (can be increased or reduced as per choice)
Preparing the mushrooms
- Gently remove the stalks of the mushrooms by gently twisting and scoop lightly each mushroom just enough to create space for the filling.
- Reserve this to be added in the stuffing.
Preparing the stuffing
- In a pan heat oil and fry the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add garlic ,cook till it starts leaving a nice aroma.
- Add the chopped mushroom stalks.Saute for few seconds and add the tomato ketchup followed by spinach.
- Season the mixture with salt ,chili powder and herbs and cook till the extra moisture dries up and becomes suitable for stuffing.
- Let the mixture cool down and mix in the cheese.
- Stuffing for the mushrooms is ready.
- Stuff each mushrooms with the filling and brush them with oil.Place them in a baking tray and bake at 180 degree centigrade for 10 minutes or till the cheese melts.They can also be baked in a gas tandoor.
- Serve them immediately either as a starter or as a side dish.
How to blanch spinach
- Boil the cleaned spinach in boiling water with little salt added to it for 2 minutes.Drain and immerse in ice cold water to stop further cooking and preserving the green colour.Drain and squeeze the excess water and is ready to use in a dish.
TILL I AM BACK WITH A NEW DISH………………………………………….HAPPY COOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!