I love to cook italian food and pastas are my favourite.My love for Italian food developed for the reasons being in its simplicity with very few ingredients involved in the cooking.The extensive use of olive oil and fresh ingredients like garlic,onions,tomatoes and fresh herbs like sweet basil ,thyme and oregano along with vegetables and meat makes it a healthier option for me that is bursting with flavours.Below follows the recipe of the juicy chicken meat balls in Arrabiata sauce which is very simple to cook with all the goodness of cooked tomatoes ,garlic ,olive oil and aromatic fresh basil.
- 500 gm chicken mince
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Fresh/dried herbs of your choice( I have added dried oregano)
- 1 whole egg lightly beaten
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients together.
- Grease your palm and form small balls and steam them in a steamer for 5-6 minutes.You can also place the balls over the aluminium foil gathered from all sides and steam.This way the juices released from the balls while steaming can be collected and used in the sauce.
- Once the balls are ready saute them in little oil and reserve the juices to be used in the sauce.
- sauteing of the balls is optional .
- Mince from the leg and thigh portion results in juicy meat balls.
- Bread crumbs can also be added to the mince if desired but for me it results in dilution of the taste.
- 2-3 cups of freshly prepared tomato puree/Canned tomatoes can also be used.(I have used fresh puree).
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of garlic mince
- 1 tsp paprika/kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Fresh basil if available/dry
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- In a pan heat slightly olive oil and add chopped onions. Saute a bit and add garlic.Cook till it starts giving a nice aroma.
- Add paprika powder and give it a nice stir.
- Pour in all the tomato puree .
- Season it with salt according to the taste.Sugar too is added according to the sweetness or tanginess desired.
- Add the juice reserved from the meat balls.Mix well.
- Little water can be added to adjust the consistency of the sauce which should be thick and coat the balls nicely.Simmer for few minutes and add the balls in it.
- Finish it by adding fresh/dry basil and parmesan cheese.Mix well and pour hot over the bed of pasta of your choice.I have used linguine pasta.
- For an added taste toss the pasta in hot oil with garlic added to it before serving.
How to prepare fresh tomato puree
- Select nice and ripe tomatoes.Make a small cut in the form of a cross at the bottom of each tomato.Blanch them in hot boiling water till its skin starts peeling off and cracks develop on its surface.let them cool down.Once they have cooled down ,peel them and puree them in a blender or with a hand blender.
HAPPY COOKING TO ALL …………………………………………..TILL I AM BACK WITH A NEW RECIPE.