“Lajawab” an urdu word with an arabic origin means rendered speechless and so is the taste of the dish that I made a day before when I was not in a mood to follow any specific recipe or a style.All I knew in my mind that I have to cook chicken and that to in an Indian style .Normally when I am in mood to cook I love to meticulously gather all the ingredients and spices.But that day I did not want to indulge too much into grinding and pounding of masalas and wanted to keep the dish as simple as possible with the use of bare minimum ingredients possible.So I worked on my instincts and whatever I got hold off at that time I put them in the dish.The basic ingredients like onion,ginger and garlic remaining same,I cut down on the use of spices without which most of the Indian non veg dishes are incomplete and yet the dish turned out a stunner.The dish calls for only tadka (tempering) of limited number of whole spices and red chili powder.Below follows the recipe of the same.
- 1 kg chicken with bones cut into medium sized pieces
- 1/2 cup thick curd
- 2 tbsp ginger & garlic paste(1:1)
- 3 medium sized onions chopped
- whole spices( 8 green cardamoms,8 cloves,2″ cinnamon stick, 2 black cardamoms,8-10 black pepper corns)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp powdered hing
- 2 tsp paprika powder/kashmiri chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup mustard oil
- 1/4 cup ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup chopped coriander and mint(3:1)
- Marinate the chicken with lemon juice,curd,1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste and salt to taste.Leave it in the fridge for at least an hour.The longer it is marinated the tastier it turns out.
- In a wok heat mustard oil upto its smoking point and then add the ghee to it.
- Add hing powder followed by whole spices and let them crackle.Immediately add the onions into it and fry till golden to brown.Add the remaining 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste ,fry a bit and add paprika powder.Give it a quick stir and add the chicken along with the marinate.
- Saute the chicken for 3-4 minutes.Just add 2-3 tbsp of water rinsing off the marinate from the bowl.
- Adjust the seasoning and cover it with the lid.Let the chicken cook in its own juices and liquid from the marinate on a very low heat for not more then half an hour or till the chicken is done stirring occasionally in between.
- Add chopped coriander and mint reserving little for garnishing and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- The dish is ready to be served.The dish is semi dry which can be spread over the bed of rice or can also be eaten along with roti or as a snack.
- A cup of water can be added if you wish to have some gravy.
SO GO GET COOKING TO GET THE TASTE OF THIS YUMMY DISH…………………………………..
HAPPY COOKING !!! TILL I AM BACK ………………………………….