No one in my family is ignorant about my special love for whole lentils cooked in medium thick gravy with all Indian spices and garnished with lots of fresh green coriander.Ever since I started cooking I remember family and friends appreciating lentils cooked by me and now my husband and daughters loves it too .On Sundays either I would initiate or my mother would ask me to cook sabut masoor ki dal as it was referred to at my house.This dish has a special place in my heart as it is one from those recipes that I used to cook during my initial days of cooking.Below I am sharing the recipe of the same hoping you all will like it my way of cooking Whole lentils.
- 1 cup whole lentils
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 medium sized tomatoes chopped finely or pureed in a grinder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 pinch hing
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder or paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- few green chilies
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp oil/ghee (preferably ghee for better taste)
- Green coriander for garnishing
- Wash and soak the lentils for about an hour.Since lentils get cooked easily so they do not require too much of prior soaking.
- Boil the lentils in pressure cooker along with some salt and 2 green chilies broken into 2 pieces each and some ginger and reserve the rest for the gravy. .Cook till they are soft and tender.This may take about 4-5 whistles depending upon the quality of the lentils.The older is the lot it takes more time to cook and this is applicable to all the pulses and legumes.
- In a skillet heat ghee/oil.When it is hot add cumin seeds,whole red chilies and let it crackle.Add a pinch of hing followed by chopped onions.
- When the onions turn golden,add turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chilli powder and cumin powder.I prefer adding kashmiri red chili powder as it imparts nice red colour to the dish without making it too hot at same time.
- Fry the spices for few seconds taking care not to burn them and then add finely chopped tomatoes and ginger.Cook tomatoes till they are soft and tender and forms a smooth mixture. You can also add little salt over the tomatoes so they become soft easily and cook till oil separates from the mixture.
- Add garam masala powder ( Indian spice Mix) and fry for few seconds and then add boiled lentils in it.Mix well ,adjust the consistency of the gravy (medium ) and salt to taste.Simmer it for 5-7 minutes and switch of the flame.Let it rest for 10 minutes ,garnish it with chopped coriander and serve along with hot steamed rice, salad and curd/raita of your choice.
TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!!!!!