I love the nutty taste of walnuts and the soft and sweet taste of the resin amidst the dominating flavor of cocoa with a hint of coffee aroma in every bite of this cake.Having it along with a cuppa of coffee it takes you to transcedence.Baking has been my childhood passion.The freshly baked vanilla cakes ,light yellow colored muffins and a sweet puff pastry item in a nearby small bakery close to my house in the university campus always fascinated me.Though not being fond of sweets in my childhood days I always relished cakes and muffins and used to develop a special appetite for these items.Coming from a traditional Indian family where baking was never part of the cooking at all,though my mother cooked Indian dishes to the perfection ,she did not know how to bake and hence no cakes and bakes at my house was done.As I grew up my interest towards learning baking got stronger and after lot experiments and trials ,going through the recipe books and of course my through my background of foods and nutrition and food technology,I finally got hang of baking techniques.Since then no looking back till date and I consider my self to be a self taught baker.The recipe that I am sharing below is the one that I love to bake quiet often and especially during winters when fresh tasting walnuts are available .
- 1 cup all purpose flour(maida)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee/instant coffee
- 1 cup white /brown sugar (powdered)
- 3/4 cup butter softened /oil
- 2 leveled tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts and resins combined
- 3 eggs whole
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk (as per the requirement)
- baking tin
- First measure all the ingredients right.
- Prepare the tin by lining it if taking a non stick baking tin.I have used non stick baking tin having 10″ by 4″ size.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, cocoa powder,baking powder and pinch of salt 2-3 times ensuring that all the ingredients are uniformly mixed and keep aside.
- Chop the walnuts coarsely and soak the resins in apple juice.
- Roll the soaked resins and walnuts in little dry flour.This is done to prevent nuts from sinking at the bottom of the cake and ensure even distribution throughout the cake.
- Break the eggs and separate the egg yolks and whites in separate bowls.
- With the help of hand mixer/ whisk ,whip the egg whites light they are fluffy and can hold the shapes (stiff peak stage) and keep aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter/oil and yolks till they become very light in color and forms ribbon when the whisk is lifted up.This happens because of the incorporation of the air in the mixture.
- Dissolve coffee in 1 tbsp warm water and add to the above mixture along with vanilla and beat further .
- Now to the egg ,sugar and butter mixture add the flour mixture in 3-4 batches lightly folding in it pouring alternatively little milk in between if the batter becomes very thick.
- To the above mixture fold in the beaten egg whites uniformly.The consistency of the batter should be neither very thick nor too thin.
- Mix in the nuts and pour it in the lined baking tin.Tap the baking tin lightly and even the top surface with the spatula.
- Adjust the wire rack oth oven in between and bake at 150 degree centigrade for about 40 minutes.Check the cake after 40 minutes by pulling it out a little and touching its surface.If the surface feels little wobbly at the center it needs some more time in the oven and if it seems firm then insert a clean knife or a skewer at the center.If it comes out clean and dry the cake is done.
- Leave the cake in oven itself for sometime with its door slightly open and let it cool down.
- once completely cooled ,run the knife along the edges and invert it on the plate.The cake comes out neatly if the bake ware is lined with a parchment paper when its not non stick.
- Let the cake cool down completely before cutting and serving.This helps in perfectly settling down of the flavors and the crumbs and then it tastes good too.
NOW ITS TIME TO RELISH THE CAKE.
HAPPY EATING AND HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!