Yes ,everyone guessed it right.These are vegetarian kebabs made from raw bananas /plantain.It is actually the vegetarian adaptation of mutton shami kebabs ,the recipe of which I had already shared in one of my previous blogs.Not only these kebabs look exactly same like mutton shami kebabs but are very close in flavor too and not to exaggerate they can very easily make a fool out of non vegetarians.I fondly remember that once even our pet dog ,a handsome black lab and with a soul like an angel polished off his food mixed with these kebabs without realizing that it was not non-veg that he used to have regularly, but of course the second time we did not succeed in doing so.Imagine a dog whose smelling power is almost 40 times then ours can be tricked ,then why not human beings???These kebabs can be served like a snack or can be rapped up in roomali roti (an Indian flat bread which is very thin and can be folded like a handkerchief) or may be served with parathas as well.Below follows the recipe of these wonder kebabs.
- 600 gm raw bananas
- 1 cup chana dal(split chick peas)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 6-7 fat garlic cloves
- 1″ ginger piece
- 1 tsp cumin(jeera)
- 1 tsp black cumin(shahi jeera)
- 1 bay leaf(tezpatta)
- 4-6 whole red chilies/according to taste
- 1″ cinnamon(dal chini)
- 4-5 green cardamom(hari elaichi)
- 1 blade mace(javitri)
- 1/2 nutmeg(jaiphal)
- 2 black cardamom(badi elaichi)
- 8-10 black pepper corn(kali mirch)
- 1/2 tsp black stone flower(Kalpasi/dagad ka phool ….a kind of lichen)
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves(kasuri methi)
- 1 tbsp dry mango powder(amchur powder)
- salt to taste
- Some chopped onions,mint and coriander for stuffing(optional)
- 2 tbsp oil + oil to shallow fry kebabs
- Soak chana dal for about 3-4 hours.
- Peel the raw bananas and cut them into medium size pieces.
- Make paste of ginger and garlic.
- Grind all the spices into powder in a grinder.
- In a deep sauce pan or a skillet ,mix bananas,ginger garlic paste,chana dal,chopped onions,spice powder,2 tbsp oil and salt to taste.
- Add about 1 cup water ,cover the lid and cook on very low flame till chana dal and bananas are cooked.The dal should be just cooked and should not turn mushy.Keep checking in between while the mixture is cooking and can add some more water in between if the chick peas and bananas are not cooked.Since bananas are starchy so they may stick at the bottom of the pan ,hence monitoring in between is required. This may take about 1/2 an hour to cook.The cooking process can also be done in pressure cooker to reduce the time by adding 3/4 cup of water and giving 3-4 whistles.Check for the moisture and if too much water is left cook it further with lid open till the moisture dries up.
- Let the mixture cool down. Once it has cooled down enough to be grounded ,grind it in a grinder to a smooth paste.No water is to be added.It can also be grounded on Indian stone grinder(sil batta).
- Divide the grounded mixture into portions according to the size of kebabs you desire.
- Wet you palms with water,flatten one portion of mixture on your palm,put some stuffing and shape them into kebabs.Since the mixture is sticky therefore I prefer wetting my palms with water instead of oil.
- Make all the kebabs .Shallow fry them and serve hot along with onion rings seasoned saesoned with lime juice and black salt and mint raita or chutney.
THE LIP SMACKING KABABS ARE READY TO TASTE.
TILL THEN ………………………….HAPPY COKING!!!!!