Rajma (kidney beans) though not native to India is popularly eaten especially in northern regions.It is prepared in thick gravy along with Indian spices and is mostly served along with steamed rice.This too can be categorized as a comfort food as it alone is sufficient to form a wholesome meal with some simple accompaniments like salad and plain curd or any raita .Kidney beans are packed with nutrition and have many health benefits associated with it.Since I have an inclination towards having whole grains and legumes,Rajma chawal turns out to be one of my favorite foods.Being a healthy eater, for me my meal should be nutritious ,have a visual appeal and should be delicious too.Rajma chawal suffices all the attributes that I look for in a meal.Below follows the recipe of Rajma curry which I am going to share with all of you.
- 1 cup Rajma(kidney beans)
- 1 Large onion
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 cup tomato puree (I have used fresh home made puree by blanching the tomatoes ,removing the skin and pureeing them.)
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder or paprika (It is low on heat and high on colour)
- 1 tsp hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tsp cumin powder(jeera)
- 2 black cardamom(Badi elaichi)
- 2 bay leaves(tezpatta)
- 5-6 cloves(laung)
- 8-10 black pepper corns(kali mirch sabut)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 3-4 tbsp ghee/butter
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak Rajma overnight or for minimum 7-8 hours and drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee. Add cinnamon,black cardamom,bay leaves,cloves,black pepper corns and lat them crackle.Add hing and chopped onions.
- When the onions are golden brown add coriander powder,chili powder,cumin powder and fry for few seconds taking care not to burn them.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 5-6 minutes .This follows the addition of ginger and soaked rajma.Give it a nice mix and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add about 3-4 cups of water,garam masala powder and salt to taste.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and after 2 whistles bring the heat to minimum and let it cook for about 20-30 minutes and then switch of the flame.
- Open the lid when the pressure drops.Check for the consistency of the gravy and adjust according to your liking.Usually the consistency is medium thick.
- Garnish it with green coriander.
- Serve it hot along with steamed rice and some accompaniments like raita/plain curd and salad.
- Before serving the Rajma curry tempering of ghee,cumin and whole red chilies can also be poured over for for some additional flavor.
- It can be topped with fresh cream to add extra richness,but is purely optional.
I WISH ALL OF YOU TO ENJOY THIS WHOLESOME MEAL SO GET COOKING SOON………….
TILL THEN…………..HAPPY COOKING TO ALL!!!