Sandwiches are a very popular comfort food world wide.According to the history it has been named after John Montagu (1718-1792) 4th Earl of Sandwich who is supposed to be the inventor of this food combination.The Wall Street Journal has described it as the biggest contribution of Britain to the gastronomy. Its simplicity in preparation,portability and endless variety like hot and cold and sweet and savoury makes it very popular across the world in the form of a quick meal.It can be eaten any time of the day right from having it in the breakfast to getting packed in the lunch boxes.Different types of fillings used in the sandwiches impart it a different taste and thus with each type of filling a new type of sandwich is born.Like any other dish it can also have healthy and unhealthy forms.
Being a huge fan of spinach and mushrooms I love to incorporate them in my meals in some form or the other.Spinach ,Mushroom and Cheese stuffed grilled sandwich is one of my favourite and a healthy form that is packed with the goodness of spinach and mushrooms.Its easy to make and delicious to have.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices of brown/multigrain bread
- 600 gm spinach
- 200 gm mushrooms(I have used button mushrooms)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- Salt to taste
- Dry herb like basil,thyme or oregano
- 1/2 cup Grated cheddar cheese
- Black pepper or chili flakes or green chilies according to taste
- Some butter or oil to brush the slices
- 1 tbsp butter or oil to cook the filling
Preparing the stuffing
- Clean and wash the spinach discarding the tough stems.
- Blanch the washed spinach in hot boiling water containing little salt for 1-2 minutes,drain the water and immerse the spinach in ice cold water.By doing so the cooking process will be stopped and the bright green colour of the spinach will be retained.
- once it has cooled down drain the water and lightly press the spinach to drain off the excess water or can be left in a colander for some time.
- Chop the blanched spinach finely and leave aside.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a pan.To this add onions,saute them and add chopped ginger and garlic.Lightly fry them and then add mushrooms.Stir fry for 2-3 minutes and to this add chopped spinach.Cook on medium to high flame till its excess moisture evaporates .Add salt, pepper and herb of your choice.Let it cool down.Once it is cooled ,mix grated cheddar cheese in it.The filling is ready to be stuffed.
Making the sandwiches
- Pre- heat the sandwich maker.
- Brush the oil or melted butter on one side of each slice.
- Stuff the stuffing between the two slices keeping the oiled/buttered surface on the outer side.Grill them in a pre heated sandwich maker and serve them along the dip of your choice.
THE HEALTHY SANDWICH IS READY TO BE ENJOYED…..YUM
SO IF YOU ALL WANNA HAVE THE TASTE OF IT ….GO GET COOKING!
TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING……………………………