We all are aware about the virtues of a good breakfast….the first meal of the day.It is therefore imperative for the breakfast menu to be nutritious and at the same time delectable.Having a good breakfast is like a prayer.As the prayer soothes and nourishes our soul, breakfast nourishes our body and prepares us to face the challenges of the day ahead.It acts like a powerhouse that keeps us running throughout the day.Thus the saying”well begun is half done”gets proved effectively. But deciding the menu for the breakfast sometimes becomes challenging as morning time being the busiest and to think of a dish covering all aspects from being nutritious to being tasty and above all takes less time to cook. It is common to have green gram in the form of sprouts in the morning but not in the form of dry dal cooked with lots of vegetables and paired with a toast or consumed as it is.The recipe of the dish that follows is made of split moong dal cooked with lots of vegetables seasoned with spices and lemon juice that can be eaten as a complete dish in combination with some fruits and milk or can be paired with toast or paratha(pan fried Indian flat bread) making a wholesome breakfast.
- 1 cup dhuli moong dal(split dehusked green gram dal)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium (chopped )
- 1 capsicum( diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green coriander
- 1″ginger finely chopped
- Green chilies sliced as per taste
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin(jeera)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Chat masala(optional)
- Wash and soak moong dal for at least an hour.Moong dal does not take too long to get fully soaked.
- In a pan heat oil.Its better to take a non stick pan as moong dal has a tendency to stick.
- When the oil is hot add cumin seeds and let it crackle.Add onions and fry till they are golden in colour.Add turmeric powder and give it a quick mix .
- Add soaked moong dal and fry it for about a minute.Season it with salt according to taste.Add water just enough to cover the dal.Cover it with the lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes mix it gently and can add little more water if needed for the dal to get cooked.This all needs to be done on medium to low flame.
- When dal gets 90% cooked add chopped tomatoes ,bell pepper,chopped ginger and green chilies and 1/2 of the total coriander.Mix well and cover it for another 3-4 minutes till the vegetables soften but does not loose their colour and texture i.e. they are cooked but do not turn mushy.
- Switch of the gas . Adjust the salt and add lemon juice to it.Sprinkle some crushed black pepper ,garnish it with chopped coriander and serve hot as it is or may serve along with buttered toast or paratha……your choice completely.
GET ,SET AND GO……..SOAK THE DAL AND GEAR UP TO PREPARE THE dISH!
HAPPY COOKING TILL I AM BACK WITH ANOTHER RECIPE……..