Shami kebabs ,another gem from the regions of Uttar pradesh,Hyderabad,Punjab,Deccan and Jammu and kashmir in India.Mostly eaten as an appetizer or served as an accompaniment,it is often rolled in roomali roti(flat bread as thin as an handkerchief) along with mint chutney and sliced raw sliced onions and eaten as on the go snack.It actually is a patty made up of minced meat which is cooked along with soaked chana dal(chick pea) and a blend of Indian spices that is ground to fine paste ,shaped into patty and pan fried.Traditionally meat used for kebabs is either lamb or mutton but regional variations may even include beef ,chicken,goat,fish or more rarely due to religious prohibitions, pork. It is soft to bite and its aroma is good enough to awake and satisfy the taste buds of any meat lover.So here follows the recipe of the royals.
Makes between 25-30 kebabs.The number may vary with the size.
- 500 gm mutton mince
- 1 cup chana daal (split chick peas) soaked
- 1 large onion(chopped)
- 2″ginger piece
- 7-8 fat garlic cloves
- 2 black cardamom(badi elaichi)
- 6 green cardamom(hari elaichi)
- 1″cinnamon stick(dalchini)
- 7-8 cloves(laung)
- 8-10 black pepper corn(kali mirch)
- 1 blade mace(javitri)
- 1/4 of a nutmeg(jaiphal)
- 1 tsp cumin(jeera)
- 1 tsp black cumin(shahi jeera)
- 1/2 tsp black stone flower(Kalpasi)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi(green dried fenugreek leaves)
- 6-7 all spice(kebab chini)
- 1 star anise(phool chakri)
- 1 bay leaf(tezpatta)
- 4-5 dry whole red chilies
- Dry mango powder to taste(amchur)
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg optional,only required if kebabs are to be deep fried ,for pan frying it is not needed as extra binding is not required
- Finely chopped mixture of mint,green coriander and onions for stuffing the kebabs….this is also optional but it adds a flavour.
- Oil to fry
- Coarsely grind ginger and garlic.
- Lightly roast all the whole spices in a pan except mango powder and salt and grind them to a fine powder.
- Take a pressure cooker or an open vessel.In it mix minced meat,soaked chana daal,chopped onions,ground ginger and garlic, salt to taste,spice powder and dry mango powder.Mix well ,cover with the lid and cook on low to medium heat till chana dal and mince meat is cooked and the mixture is dry.This will take about half an hour to cook.This can also be cooked under pressure to reduce the cooking time by adding about 1/2 cup water to get 3-4 whistles.But then ,when the pressure drops and if some water is left behind then you need to cook little further till the water dries up.Therefore I prefer open vessel cooking as it is easier to monitor while stirring in between.
- Let the mixture to cool down and then grind it into a nice smooth paste that can be easily shaped into patty
- Divide the mixture according to the size of the patty you want and roll them into shape of kebabs.At this point you also have a choice of stuffing kebabs with stuffing mixture mentioned in the list of ingredients.
- Fry the kebabs in a pan gently flipping and frying on both the sides and serve them hot along with green chutney,raw onion rings and a lemon wedge.
I LOVE TO HAVE THEM ALONG WITH ROTIS (INDIAN FLAT BREAD).HOW WOULD YOU ALL LIKE TO HAVE IT. DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF THIS DELICACY…………SO HURRY UP AND GET COOKING!!!
TILL THEN HAPPY COOKING!