Baking is something i love to do.For me its a real stress buster when I end up with a perfectly baked product from cakes to muffins to breads,be it any thing.I personally feel baking requires lots of practice and precision and also little bit of science behind it to achieve good results unlike any other dishes where a little here and there may not entirely affect the dish and may at times even end up with a new dish.Baking does not allow such leverages.The recipe of the breakfast rolls that will follow is actually made with pizza dough which is rolled and stuffed with the mushroom filling and baked turning it into a scrumptious breakfast dish.It is quiet flexible in terms of the choice of filling.It can also be eaten as a snack.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 200 gm mushrooms roughly chopped(I have taken button mushrooms)
- 1 large onion(finely chopped)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Mexican seasoning(any herbs or seasonings can be used as per taste)
- 2 tsp red chili garlic sauce /any sauce of your choice
- Grated white and yellow cheddar cheese(any processed cheese or mozzarella can be used)
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a pan heat oil and saute onion and garlic.Add mushrooms and cook till the moisture dries up on medium to high flame in between.Season it with salt and Mexican seasoning.Lastly adding chili garlic sauce which will impart tangy taste to the filling and will also add little consistency to the filling.Let the filling cool down before stuffing.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour+ 2 tbsp dry flour for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 10 gm dry active yeast( I have used 2 sachets weighing 7 gm each)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup luke warm water
- Take 1/4 cup of warm water in a glass and dissolve sugar in it. To this add the yeast,mix well and keep in a warm place till it becomes bubbly and frothy.
- In a mixing bowl take 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.Add salt and oil to it and mix well.Make a well in the middle and pour the activated yeast mixture and mix evenly across the flour.
- Knead the dough with warm water (approximately 1 cup).The dough will feel sticky initially .Sprinkle some flour on the counter and place the dough on it. Knead the dough for about 10-15 minutes by stretching and rolling technique till it forms into soft and smooth ball of dough.Place it in a bowl and cover it with a cling foil or a moist kitchen towel and rest it in a warm place till it doubles in size.This is called first proofing.
- After it doubles in size,knock down the air in it and take it on the floured surface. Divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Roll each portion lightly with the rolling pin or by hands into 5-6 cm disc .Spread the filling over it evenly and sprinkle some grated cheese.Roll it gently like a Swiss roll,pinch the ends and the edges and place on the greased and floured baking sheet.Brush oil over the rolls and sprinkle some herbs over it(optional).Proof /rest them for another 15 -20 minutes . As you can see in the picture below I have made 4 rolls and 3 calzone shapes and the last is a flat bread shape since the filling got exhausted and was left with some grated cheese only.
- Bake it at 250 degree centigrade for 8-10 minutes. After 5-6 minutes switch on the convection for even browning.
- Serve freshly baked along with the sauce of your choice.
SO GET, SET AND GO…..AND BAKE THESE YUMMY ROLLS………………………
HAPPY COOKING TILL I COME BACK AGAIN!