“Vegetarian Zest” as I call my following recipe is nothing but a very commonly eaten stir fried noodles.As most of us are aware that in Chinese style of cooking a lot of emphasis is given on the cutting and chopping of the vegetables and meat just to ensure even cooking cooking. Lots of colours are added in form of different vegetables and over cooking is strictly prohibited thus making Chinese cuisine very nutritious and healthy.At times I find it to be the best and tastiest way to incorporate good amount of vegetables in ones diet.It stands as a very flexible dish in terms of vegetables used as per ones choice.I have used lots of green beans,carrots,cabbage,capsicum,spring onions along with cottage cheese (panir) as a meat substitute for protein as I have made vegetarian.Since only cutting and chopping of vegetables is a time consuming process and cooking hardly takes any time ,thus preparation can be done ahead of time.For me this is a complete meal full of taste and packed with nutrition.Below follows the recipe of the same.
- 1 cup carrots(shredded)
- 1 cup beans(sliced diagonally )
- 1 cup spring onions(chop the greens and vertically slice the bulbs)
- 1 big capsicum(sliced thinly)
- 2 cups cabbage(finely shredded)
- 1 tsp ginger(finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic(finely chopped)and 2 flakes thinly sliced
- 1-2 green chilies sliced(optional)
- onion( I have used only bulbs of spring onion)
- 200 gm cottage cheese(cut into cubes)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce(for flavour)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce(for colour)
- 1 tsp red chili paste( can be used according to the taste)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- salt to taste
- 400 gm flat noodles
- 2 whole red chilies(optional)
- Cut and chop vegetables as per choice either diced or sliced to ensure even cooking.Preferably with noodles sliced and shredded vegetables go well as it adds to the appearance also.
- Cook the noodles as per the instructions given on the packet. I have cooked the noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes ,drained and washed them with the cold water and applied little oil over it to prevent sticking.
- Take a wok or a pan .Pour oil in it and heat.When the oil is hot add chopped garlic,ginger and green chilies.Give it a quick stir.Add onions,beans,carrots giving quick stir after each addition.Add light and dark soy sauce, chili paste,vinegar stirring quickly for about 30 seconds.Add capsicum and cabbage followed by noodles. Add the cottage cheese cubes.Mix well together all the ingredients ,adjust the salt.Top it with little sesame oil for slightly nutty flavour.At last add the spring onion greens and reserve little for garnishing.
- For the final touches in a small pan take little oil and fry the sliced garlic and and red chilies broken into pieces and pour it over the noodles as a tempering(tadka) for extra flavour.
- The stir fried noodles are ready to be served.
- Different vegetables other then mentioned in the ingredient list can be used,like broccoli,mushrooms etc.
- The quantity of the vegetables can be increased or decreased according to the taste.
- Cottage cheese cubes can be fried or grilled before adding into the noodles.Soaked Soya chunks /nutri nuggets can also be added in place of cottage cheese in the vegetarian meal.
- Sequence of vegetables added while cooking depends on the cooking time taken by each vegetable.
ENJOY THE DISH TILL I COME BACK WITH A NEW RECIPE>TILL THEN ……..HAPPY COOKING!