What if you are craving to have something non vegetarian but with the Navaratri ( a nine night festival observed by Hindus) on and despite not being very particular about fasting ,you avoid having non veg during this period.So to solve the problem here I come with a mouth watering delicacy from Lucknow….Kathal ki biryani Awadhi style.Kathal (Jackfruit) Biryani is a vegetarian version of Awadhi mutton biryani ,the recipe of which I have shared in my previous blog. It is actually a counterpart of mutton biryani in terms of taste as well as appearance.At first glance anybody would be mistaken for mutton biryani.It tastes so good that even a hardcore non vegetarian would not miss having it.Raw unripe jackfruit cut into small pieces are used in this recipe.The dish is a main course dish served along with salad and mint raita.So here follows the recipe…..
- 500 gm unripe jack fruit (kathal)cut into medium size pieces
- 2 cups long grain aged basmati rice
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp oil /ghee
- 1 large onion
- 1″ginger piece
- 6-7 fat garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 6 bay leaves
- 16 green cardamom(Hari elaichi)
- 6-7 whole red chilies(can be changed according to taste)
- 1 big black cardamom( kali elaichi)
- 1″ cinnamon stick(dalchini)
- 4-5 cloves(laung)
- 8-10 black pepper(kali mirch)
- 1 blade mace(javitri)
- 1/2 nutmeg(jaiphal)
- 1 tsp cumin(jeera)
- 4-5 all spice(kebab chini)
- 1/4 tsp edible yellow colour if powder form or 1 tsp if liquid form
- 2 tbsp kewra water
- 1 cup butter milk(mattha) diluted
- Put the pieces of jack fruit in a pressure cooker,add little salt,turmeric powder and 1/2 cup water.Cook for two whistles, switch of the gas and let it cool down.
- Soak the rice in enough water for minimum 30 minutes.
- Till the rice is soaking, grind onion,garlic,ginger,whole chilies,cumin,black cardamom,cloves,black pepper and all spice together.
- Grind separately cinnamon,6 green cardamom,mace and nutmeg into fine powder.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and to this add the onion and spice paste.Fry this till it starts leaving the oil on medium heat.To this add the boiled jack fruit and stir fry for some time and the pieces get nicely coated with spice mixture. Finish it with
cardamom,cinnamon,mace and nutmeg powder.Put off the flame and leave aside.
- In a deep saucepan take enough water about 2 lit. To this add enough salt so that it tastes just like tear. Add remaining 10 green cardamoms crushed and bay leaves.
- Once it starts boiling put soaked rice in it and cook till the rice is cooked 80-90% by pressing it between the fingers.
- When the rice is done strain in a strainer.
- In this recipe since I have taken less rice,so at the bottom of the pan I have spread jack fruit layer over which pour diluted butter milk which will help in steam production and further cooking of the rice till it is fully done and then top it with the rice.
- Do not pack the layer of the rice tightly, it should be loosely packed.
- Sprinkle kewra water on top and a streak of colour, cover with the lid and cook on dum(very low heat) till it starts giving beautiful aroma and all rice grains on top are upright indicating that the biryani is done.Switch of the flame and let it rest for 15 minutes before opening the lid.
- Now when 15 minutes are over ,open the lid and pour over it the heated and cooled oil.Gently mix the biryani bringing bottom contents on top and mixing it evenly without breaking the rice….as the rice cooked to perfection is the highlight of a good biryani.
- So now when your mouth has already started watering then why wait….just attack and gorge on….hahahaha
Peeling and cutting jack fruit is a task…..so if you want to do the peeling and cutting yourself then apply little oil on the knife and your palms and then peel and cut carefully.
TILL I COMEBACK WITH A NEW RECIPE>>>>HAPPY COOKING TO ALL