Korma is a dish that has originated in the Indian subcontinent.It has its roots in the Mughlai cuisine of India.Classically it is a dish where meat or vegetables are braised with yogurt,cream and stock added.The flavours are based on the mixture of spices used along with the yogurt cooked on a very low fire till the meat is fully cooked to melt in mouth stage and the yogurt incorporated slowly with the meat juices turning into smooth and luscious gravy. Kormas can be made from chicken,lamb or beef and can be mildly spiced to fiery.The use of cashew nuts or almond paste add richness to its taste and texture and then it is termed as shahi(royal).Though ,korma is not part of an everyday meal and is made on occasions considering its richness,I cook it very frequently making subtle changes to make it less heavy without compromising on its taste and texture.Traditionally kormas are generously cooked in Desi ghee(clarified butter) and topped with cream enhancing its richness.My version the recipe that follows,calls for using the minimal oil or clarified butter and omitting the addition of cream.
- 1 kg chicken cut into medium size pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil (quantity can be reduced further)
- 1 cup yogurt Marinate
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 onions medium size(chopped)
- 5-6 green chillis
- Whole spices(2″ cinnamon stick,8 green cardamoms,8 cloves,2 bay leaves 8-10 black peppercorns,2 big black cardamom)
- 12-14 cashew nuts/blanched almonds with skin removed
- salt to taste
How to cook:
- Marinate the chicken with salt,lemon juice,1tbsp ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste(as per the hotness desired) and 1/4 cup of yogurt.Let it rest for minimum 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan,to it add whole spices and fry for 30 sec.Add the onions and when they turn golden brown ,add remaining ginger garlic paste ,cook for 1-2 minutes till its rawness is gone.To this add coriander and cumin powder followed by marinated chicken.
- Sear the chicken for about 6-7 minutes and add yogurt to it.Add salt,give it a nice mix,put the lid on and let it cook on minimum flame for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes check the chicken,add cashew paste,adjust the consistency of the gravy and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.Switch of the flame and let it rest for 5 minutes and then garnish it with chopped green coriander and green chillies and serve hot along with rice or naan.
I wish my readers to give it a try and enjoy this delectable dish along with family and friends.Till then happy reading and cooking.